|Saturday, July 4th 2020||Thursday,July9th 2020|
Learn all the theory and practice of natural construction techniques using bamboo and adobe and its combinations, guided by the 35 years long experience of Rodolfo Saenz, bamboo master and artisan craftsman, founder of our school.
It is not necessary to have previous knowledge. If you already have some knowledge, the instruction will be adapted to match your skill level, so you can improve on your skills or progress to more advanced techniques.
After the workshop, there is the possibility to stay longer if you want to learn and practice more, receiving additional instruction and orientation. Consult for special prices for longer stays.
- Instruction from expert master craftsman with more than 35 years of experience. See more about Rodolfo Sáenz.
- Suitable for any level. From no experience to expert.
- You must be over 18 years old.
- All sample and practice will be in 1/10 scale
- We serve delicious vegetarian and vegan meals with fresh ingredients.
- Fresh fruits, tea and coffee will be available throughout the day, free of charge.
- You can request a massage, a Reiki session or a guided personal healing session.
- Additional information and travel instructions will be sent by email upon registration.
- You can extend your holiday stay and take advantage of the central location of Bamboo School. Ask us before you arrive.
- There are hiking trails nearby. The Carara National Park is 40 min. by car and we are 1 hour by car from the beach.
- Learn about bamboo varieties for adobe walls
- Harvesting, processing, treatment and curing methods.
- Demonstration of tools and how to make a special knife
- Proper use of manual and electrical tools
- All possible assembly techniques.
- How to make a fish mouth
- Make bamboo nails.
- Make a bamboo blanket
- Prepare walls before application of adobe
- Collect clay
- Test the% clay and recognize the quality of the clay
- Tests of clay cookies to measure resistance
- Different techniques of walls with clay
- Make adobe mixes
- Make blocks
- Make walls
- Plasters with clay and natural materials
- Clay paint
- Plasters with hydraulic lime
- Painting with hydraulic lime
- Tuning walls
- Creation of a living roof
Arrival: Please arrive on the night before the course starts. Dinner is included.
Departure: Saturday after lunch.
|8:00 am – 12:30 pm||Workshop|
|12:30 pm – 1:30 pm||Lunch|
|1:30 pm – 4:00 pm||Workshop|
The workshop will take place at Rodolfo’s beautiful property where he currently lives and where he built his amazing house out of Bamboo and Adobe.
It is located in Turrubares, 10 minute drive from Orotina or 1 hour drive from Juan Santamaría International Airport
Bring for the Workshop
For the workshops
- rubber gloves
For your stay
- Cloths for hot climate and light sweater for the night.
- workingclothes that may become dirty
- Umbrella or rain poncho
- Closed shoes for working
- Mosquitoes repellent
- Other personal care items of your preference
Rodolfo Saenz started his career as craftsman furniture maker over 35 years ago. First he learned to work with wood and later received instruction on many techniques with bamboo from a taiwanese master. This started a whole new path for Rodo where he discovered his passion and skills for making any possible furniture he could think of.
Additionally he learned of all construction techniques with all types of natural materials. He has designed and constructed countless projects using bamboo and adobe and combination of other earth materials.
Rodo is a passionate teacher and loves to share his skills and knowledge in construction and sustainable design and has more than 12 years experience teaching workshops around the world.
Besides his construction and craftsman career, he also has cultivated special gifts in curative therapies including therapeutic massage and Reiki.
More about Rodolfo Saenz.
Prices and accommodation options
For your stay, we offer 2 rooms from Rodo’s house. Also you can stay on a shared big 6 people tent or you can bring your own tent. Additionally we can accommodate you on one of the nearby cabins that have associated with us to offer you more options.
Take advantage of our special packages for groups or if you want to take two workshops.
Natural Building Workshop – Special package 5×4 – 6 days$800.00 – $2,250.00
Natural Building Workshop – Special package for 2 Workshops – 13 days$800.00 – $2,250.00
Natural Building Workshop – Special package 5×4 travelers$2,400.00